Linggo, Setyembre 18, 2016

Open Communication, A Key to a Team's Success

Photo Courtesy of Google Image
I love to watch war movies, stories about soldiers and how one platoon can work as one. Movies and series like Band of Brothers, Enemy at the Gates and Stalingrad are some of those that I really love.

As I was watching those movies, I realized one main component of a victorious fight and it is efficient and effective line of communication. No plan will be executed accordingly if the individuals in the unit are working based only on their own perspective. 

Applying it into workplace, there's this term called Open Communication. It is the condition where an employee is free to provide his insights without any fear of retaliation, bad impression or judgment from the management or his colleagues.

As you can see, one team will be able to deliver accurately if the members are talking to each other on the concerns that really matters. The need to talk about an issue right away, be it criticism of an error or acknowldedgment of a glitch is a must in order to rectify it urgently as well.

To tell you honestly, I am really a fan of open communication as I strongly believe that it is what a team needed in order to have a harmonious relationship with each other. The least that i want myself to be in is a situation wherein I have no idea that my actions are already causing a damage to the team's performance. At such, that's where a team mate supposedly would interfere...not to criticize but to correct what is wrong.

In all the teams that I have been with all throughout my career, i have always promoted this mindset. I am not really a fan of backstabbing, as I believe that being open in a respectful way will benefit the whole of the team and eventually the company. Unfortunately, I have also realized that this mindset is not intended for all people. 

There are instances that suggestions will be interpreted as arguments and your perception will be translated to a personal attack. It is inevitable as every meeting or communication is accompanied not only by what you are saying but also with how you have said it. Is it sarcastic? Does it seem that you would want to imply something? You see... There are so many factors to consider.

While it is right to lay down your side on every situation, be sensitive as well. Here are some tips to a more harmonious relationship in line with open communication:

1. After a heated meeting, talk to that someone that you think you have offended and just settle things right as soon as possible.

2. Always try to pinpoint the error respectfully in front of the concerned person. NOT to your other colleagues. Not just because it is unethical but also in order for the concerned party to rectify the error right away. This will free the team from unnecessary problem in the future.

3. Never judge your colleague based on your impression without asking him first. There may be some things that you have not considered in your assessment.

4. Stick to the issue. Don't ever interrupt your colleague or insert other topic that will create an impression of fault finding.

5. Open communication comes with an open mind. Don't assume that the argument is already personal unless the tone is quite obviously disrespectful already. If that happened, resist professionally.

5. Last but not the least is RESPECT and TRUST. Without this, any relationship will somehow collapse even if it has started in good fate.

I hope this helps you understand some points. I, myself is also having some difficulties in applying the things that I have mentioned above but I am trying my very best. Always remember, a team will not be a team if the members are divided and full of hidden comments. A war will not be won if the soldier's tactics and actions are not aligned to their captain or their unit.


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento